Recommended Age, Grade, and Reading Levels
- Age: 0 to 7
- Grade: p to 2
- Reading age: 4 to 8
About the authors
Don Kilby's unique vision of rural life stems partly from the time he spent on the prairie and partly from the myriad jobs he has held including lumberjack, steelworker, paperboy and graphic artist. His paintings capture the detail and shifting moods of the landscape and its inhabitants. Don illustrated Name of the Child and The Prairie Fire, both written by Marilynn Reynolds. The Prairie Fire was nominated for the CLA Book of the Year Award and chosen for the American Bookseller Association's prestigious Pick of the Lists. Don lives in Eden Mills, Ontario.
Marilynn Reynolds is the bestselling author of a number of children’s picture books, including A Present for Mrs Kazinski, The Prairie Fire, The New Land, A Dog for a Friend and The Name of the Child, published in 2002. Her book Goodbye To Griffiths Street won the Christie Harris Award in 2005. Marilynn Reynolds was born in Sudbury, Ontario, but has spent most of her life on the Prairies. This life, combined with her mother's and grandparents' experiences growing up in wide-open spaces, gave her a wealth of story material and a unique look at early Canadian life.
- Short-listed, Western Writers of America Storyteller Award nominee
- Short-listed, R. Ross Annett Award nominee
- Short-listed, CLA Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award nominee
- Short-listed, CLA Book of the Year for Children nominee
- Commended, CCBC Our Choice
- Commended, ABA Pick of the List
- Runner-up, Alcuin Design Award nominee
- Commended, Parent Council, Texas nominee