Recommended Age, Grade, and Reading Levels
- Age: 3 to 7
- Grade: p to 2
- Reading age: 3 to 7
Theodora loved her grandfather's old garden. His new apartment's balcony is too windy and small for a garden. But what appears to be a drawback soon leads to a shared burst of creativity as Theo and her Poppa decide to paint a new garden. As they work side by side --- sowing seeds with brushes and paint --- a masterpiece begins to take shape that transforms the balcony into an abundant garden.
When Poppa goes away on holiday, Theo helps nurture the garden and it begins to take on a life of its own. This garden grows not from soil but from love, imagination and creativity.
Readers will marvel at each stage of this fertile garden as it grows from seed to full flower, revealing the power of art to enrich our lives.
About the authors
Andrew Larsen est père au foyer et auteur. Quand il était enfant, il passait toujours une partie de son été au chalet de ses grands-parents, situé sur une colline, près d'un lac. Andrew habite à Toronto. Il a publié sept albums jeunesse.
Andrew Larsen is a father, homemaker and author. When he was a child, he would spend a part of every summer with his grandparents at their cottage on a hill, by a lake. Andrew now lives in a downtown Toronto neighbourhood. He has published seven picture books.
Irene Luxbacher a obtenu son diplôme d'histoire de l'art à l'université Queen's avant d'étudier au Emily Carr College of Art and Design à Vancouver, en Colombie Britannique. En 1994, elle est revenue à Toronto où elle coordonne des expositions d'arts d'enfants en plus d'écrire et d'illustrer des livres dans ce domaine. On lui doit la collection Mes premières oeuvres.
Irene Luxbacher was nominated for the Governor General's Award for her illustrations in Andrew Larsen's The Imaginary Garden and its sequel The Not-So-Faraway Adventure. She has illustrated several other picture books, and her own Deep Underwater, Mattoo, Let’s Play!, and Mr. Frank, as well as eight acclaimed children’s art activity books. She lives in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, with her husband and young son. You can learn more about her work at ireneluxbacher.com.
- Short-listed, Great Lakes Great Books, Michigan Reading Association
- Short-listed, Blue Spruce Award, Ontario Library Association
- Short-listed, Shining Willow Award, Saskatchewan Young Readers' Choice Award
- Winner, Outstanding International Book, USBBY
- Short-listed, Ruth & Sylvia Schwartz Children's Book Award
- Winner, Best Books for Kids & Teens, Starred Selection, Canadian Children's Book Centre
- Short-listed, Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award, Canadian Library Association
- Short-listed, Book of the Year, Foreword Magazine
- Short-listed, Governor General's Literary Award, Children's Illustration, Canada Council for the Arts