Recommended Age, Grade, and Reading Levels
- Age: 4 to 8
- Grade: p to 3
- Reading age: 4 to 8
Suki's favorite possession is her blue cotton kimono. A gift from her obachan, it holds special memories of her grandmother's visit last summer. And Suki is going to wear it on her first day back to school --- no matter what anyone says.
When it's Suki's turn to share with her classmates what she did during the summer, she tells them about the street festival she attended with her obachan and the circle dance that they took part in. In fact, she gets so carried away reminiscing that she's soon humming the music and dancing away, much to the delight of her entire class!
Filled with gentle enthusiasm and a touch of whimsy, Suki's Kimono is the joyful story of a little girl whose spirit leads her to march --- and dance --- to her own drumbeat.
About the authors
Chieri Uegaki est une Canadienne d'origine japonaise, née en Colombie-Britannique. Sa carrière a commencé à l'âge de 7 ans lorsque le journal familial The Pender Street Times a été publié. Elle a par la suite raffiné son style en suivant des études de littérature à l'Université de la Colombie-Britannique. Son premier album, Le kimono de Suki a connu beaucoup de succès et Rosie et Capucine suit ses traces.
Chieri Uegaki is a graduate of the creative writing department at the University of British Columbia. Suki's Kimono is her first published work. She lives in Sechelt, British Columbia.
Stéphane Jorisch is one of Canada's most celebrated illustrators. He is a two-time winner of the Governor General's Award for Children’s Illustration for Jabberwocky and The Owl and The Pussycat. He grew up in Montréal, Quebec, where he now lives with his family.
- Short-listed, Blue Spruce Award, Ontario Library Association
- Short-listed, Chocolate Lily Award
- Winner, Book of the Year - Bronze Medal, ForeWord Magazine
- Runner-up, Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award
- Short-listed, Ruth Schwartz Children's Book Award
- Short-listed, Christie Harris Illustrated Children's Literature Prize
- Winner, Children's Book Award Notable Book, International Reading Association
- Runner-up, Mr. Christie Book Award