Recommended Age, Grade, and Reading Levels
- Age: 5 to 8
- Grade: 1
- Reading age: 5 to 8
Phoebe Gilman's beloved classic celebrates its 20th anniversary!
Joseph's grandfather made him a beautiful blanket when he was a baby, but now it's frazzled and worn, and Joseph's mother says it is time to throw it out. Joseph doesn't want to part with his special blanket, and he's sure that his grandfather can fix it. Sure enough, Grandfather miraculously alters the blanket into useful items again and again. But when Joseph loses the final item, even Grandfather can't make something from nothing. But maybe Joseph can?
Based on the Yiddish folktale "Joseph's overcoat," Phoebe Gilman's gorgeous artwork charts the transformation of the blanket and the progress of Joseph's family through the years, subtly teaching young readers about a lost way of life.
About the author
PHOEBE GILMAN, la créatrice tant appréciée de la collection Lili Tire-bouchon, est aussi la plume derrière les livres primés Un merveilleux petit rien!, Les trésors de Lili Tire-bouchon, L’hippopotame bleu et L’arbre aux ballons. Elle est décédée en 2002.
Pheobe Gilman was the beloved creator of the Jillian Jiggs (Lili Tire-bouchon) series as well as the award-winning Something from Nothing (Un merveilleux petit rien!), The Gypsy Princess, Pirate Pearl, Little Blue Ben, The Balloon Tree (L'arbre aux ballons), and Grandma and the Pirates. She passed away in 2002.
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre
- Short-listed, Utah Children's Picture Book Award
- Commended, Antigo Sugar Maple Award
- Commended, Canadian Materials Best of the Year list
- Commended, American Bookseller Magazine's "Pick of the List"
- Commended, White Ravens Selection (International Youth Library)
- Winner, Sydney Taylor Family Book Award
- Winner, Ruth Schwartz Award
- Commended, Canadian Library Association, Notable
- Short-listed, Mr. Christie's Book Award
- Commended, Canadian Children's Book Centre, Our Choice
Something From NothingA heartwarming tale about a young boy and his grandfather’s magic blanket, for which he finds many uses throughout childhood. Originally published in 1992 by North Winds Press (Our Choice 1992 Starred Selection).
Source: The Canadian Children’s Book Centre. Best Books for Kids & Teens. 2009.
Other titles by Phoebe Gilman
Un merveilleux petit rien!
Once Upon a Golden Apple
25th Anniversary Edition
Grandma and the Pirates
A Treasury of Jillian Jiggs
GRANDMA AND THE PIRATES (RED)
Tell Me A Story: Jillian Jiggs to the Rescue
Book and CD
Tell Me A Story: Jillian Jiggs
Book and CD
Jillian Jiggs to the Rescue
Tell Me a Story: Balloon Tree
Book and CD