Medical Management & Leadership
Fast Facts for the Clinical Nurse Manager
Managing a Changing Workplace in a Nutshell
- Springer Publishing
- Initial publish date
- Nov 2015
- Management & Leadership
Paperback / softback
- Publish Date
- Nov 2015
- List Price
Add it to your shelf
Where to buy it
"The book is easy to read and makes great points, especially about employee issues... This is a great resource for clinical nurse managers. They will find the information on dealing with employee issues helpful and timely. The activities and conversation guidelines are easy to use and relevant in the current healthcare climate... Score: 95 - 4 Stars!
--Cynthia Lee Cummings, RN, MSN, EdD, CHSE, University of North Florida Brooks College of Health,Doody's Reviews
Clinical nurse managers face myriad challenges, including administrative, clinical, and interpersonal issues. This concise, practical resource offers wise guidance for nurses working in this complex, fast-paced role. Addressing common complaints and anxieties, it offers quick access to insights, proven strategies, and tools for effectively coping with such situations as institutional change, a multigenerational and multicultural workforce, resistance to change, and toxic behaviors.
Fully updated and revised, the second edition provides sound advice to address the changing dynamics in health care that challenge clinical nurse management. It offers strategies for boosting staff morale during times of fear and anxiety, explains how to reclaim professional practice and focus on quality of care, advocates for nurses at senior levels, and discusses how to maintain one"s identity in an interdisciplinary setting. Designed to assist clinical nurse managers at all levels in developing new and effective ways of leading in a rapidly changing health care environment, this resource helps foster a better professional practice for the nurse manager. It features concise chapters and bulleted information for quick access and at-a-glance Fast Facts in a Nutshell boxes. Also included are helpful tools and worksheets for managing a variety of challenges, along with the "Top 10 Fast Facts for Thriving in a Changing Workplace."
New to the Second Edition:
- Completely updated and revised
- New chapter, "A Call to Action: Recovering the Lost Art of Nursing"
- New content on fostering and nurturing therapeutic relationships
- More information on rewards and recognition to keep staff motivated
- Presents timely content ready to be applied in a professional setting
- Presents information in an easy-to-access format with concise chapters, bulleted lists, and Fast Facts in a Nutshell boxes
- Advocates a back-to-basics approach to clinical care
- Packed with current, useful, and accessible information that fits in a pocket
- Written by a noted author, keynote speaker, and facilitator highly experienced in helping nurses in leadership roles
About the author
Barbara J. Fry, MEd (Adult), BN, RN,is president of Workplace Dynamix, Inc., an active member of the College of Registered Nurses in Nova Scotia, and a professional keynote speaker and facilitator.