Recommended Age, Grade, and Reading Levels
- Age: 8 to 12
- Grade: 3 to 7
Astronauts on Apollo 13 averted disaster with the help of duct tape. The design of the Sydney Opera House was based on the segments of an orange. The Tacoma Narrows Bridge swayed so much it was nicknamed “Galloping Gertie.” From genius designs to deadly design-flaws, the story of engineering is full of oddities and surprises. Fantastic Feats and Failures includes bridge and dome-building projects, and other activities to test your engineering know-how.
About the author
Editors of YES Mag YES Mag: Canada’s Science Magazine for Kids is an award-winning periodical that makes science, technology, engineering and mathematics exciting and fun for kids.
- Short-listed, Red Cedar Book Award
- Commended, Rocky Mountain Book Award
- Short-listed, Hackmatack Children's Choice Book Award
- Winner, Science Writing Award, American Institute of Physics
- Short-listed, Silver Birch Award
- Winner, Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students , National Science Teachers Association and the Children's Book Council.
- Runner-up, Book of the Year Award, ForeWord Magazine