Recommended Age, Grade, and Reading Levels
- Age: 12 to 18
- Grade: 8 to 12
- Reading age: 12 to 18
Key Selling Points
- A teenager tries to keep a life-changing discovery from his abusive foster father.
- This is a coming-of-age story—the protagonist is planning to run away as soon as he turns sixteen.
- A gripping adventure story set in the Yukon Valley, famous for its gold-rush history.
- The author has written many hi-lo novels for striving readers and knows how to keep the audience riveted.
- One of the first titles in the new Orca Anchor line of hi-lo books with reading levels of 1.0 to 2.0.
- Enhanced features (dyslexia-friendly font, cream paper, larger trim size) to increase reading accessibility for dyslexic or other striving readers.
About the author
With close to three million books in print, Sigmund Brouwer writes for both children and adults. In the last ten years, he has given writing workshops to students in schools from the Arctic Circle to inner city Los Angeles. One of his latest novels, The Last Disciple, earned Sigmund an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America. Sigmund and his family live half the year in Nashville, Tennessee, and half the year in Red Deer, Alberta.
Reach For Your Dreams
It doesn't matter where you come from, it's where you decide to go in life that is important. Sigmund Brouwer encourages students to reach for their dreams, giving them fun and practical advice for the reading and writing skills that are the foundation of future success.
Sigmund's presentations are an hour of high-level energy. He especially reaches out to reluctant readers and gears the talk to engage their attention. Audience size varies; often his presentations take place in the gym for the entire school, including kindergarten. (After the first half hour, the K-2 grades are dismissed, and the remainder of the presentation is focused on the older students.) There are no restrictions on audience size except for the space limitations of the gym. Smaller schools are welcome to invite another school to share in the cost of the presentation.
For presentations that involve travel, Sigmund appreciates it if two or three schools in the area make bookings on the same day. For more information on booking, fees and expenses, please email Sigmund: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Commended, CCBC Best Books for Kids & Teens
“An excellent choice to hand to middle and high school reluctant readers, especially where outdoor adventures are popular.”
School Library Journal
“A thrilling hi-lo adventure story for teens...The beauty of Trapped is in its no-holds-barred narrative that keeps the reader guessing as to what will happen next…A valuable hi-lo addition to any library. Highly Recommended.”
CM: Canadian Review of Materials
“Taut and gripping...From the first sentence, this compact, suspenseful title pulls reluctant readers in and never lets go.”
Other titles by Sigmund Brouwer
Charlie's Rules #3
Trapped in Terror Bay
Solving the Mystery of the Lost Franklin Expedition
Breath of Life
Three Breaths that Shaped Humanity
Charlie's Rules #2
Charlie's Rules #1
The Epic 400-Year Journey to Apollo 11