Revised and updated paperback edition of the national bestseller (now in its fifth printing), and "definitive guide to the art of living well" (Charlotte Empey, editor-in-chief of Metro), including a new foreword by Debbie Travis and updated sections on business etiquette and everyday entertaining.
Widely considered a world expert in butlering, Charles MacPherson lays out the essentials of household management in this wonderfully illustrated style, entertainment and etiquette guide. For anyone who rents or owns--be it a small urban condo or a lavish country estate--The Butler Speaks has everything you need to simplify, organize and care for your home.
Charles the Butler believes that entertaining guests and managing your home should be easy, unstuffy and stress-free. In this comprehensive volume, Charles shares modern etiquette and style tips, all geared to making you more comfortable in social situations both within the home and the workplace. He covers a wide range of topics, from cooking and cleaning, to manners, menus and text messaging etiquette. You will learn how to properly present a business card, make polite dinner conversation, create a perfect cheese plate, set a table and pull off a flawless party--all with the flair, charm and unpretentious grace of a butler. And for fans of Downton Abbey and anyone curious about the history of the service industry, Charles also offers a glimpse into the manor homes of yesteryear, revealing what life was like for the privileged "upstairs" class and for the servants working downstairs.
No matter what size home you have, The Butler Speaks is a simple and essential guide to living tastefully and gracefully.
A world authority in household management and butlering, CHARLES MacPHERSON has over twenty-six years of experience as the major domo for one of Canada's most prominent families. In 2009, he opened North America's only registered school for butlers and household managers. The author lives in Toronto, Ontario.
Praise for The Butler Speaks:
• "This book covers everything you never paid attention to while living at home: stylish entertaining, etiquette and the art of good housekeeping. Read this book and you will become the chicest domestic expert around." --Metro
• "One of my favourite guests, Charles the Butler gives great advice on managing your life, loving laundry and pursuing good manners." --Marilyn Denis, host of The Marilyn Denis Show
• "This definitive work fairly oozes the polish and poise of proper butlering, etiquette and household management. . . . With wit and panache, MacPherson jams in reams of tips that will have you cultured in no time." --Publishers Weekly
• “Charles the Butler taught me to truly understand what luxury is. He alone deserves the fifth highly coveted luxury hotel star.” --Olivier Cremont, former Head Butler, Fouquet’s Barriere Hotel, Paris
• “The Butler Speaks is your definitive guide to the art of living well, delivered with the wit, charm, style—and simple common sense—that you have come to expect from Charles’ columns in Metro. Keep it handy and you’ll never miss a step!” --Charlotte Empey, Editor-in-Chief, Metro
• “Anyone who takes pride in their home and in entertaining their family and friends will find within these pages the tips and tricks that a professional butler uses to achieve the ultimate standard of a privately staffed house.” --John Robertson, butler to Their Graces the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland, Alnwick Castle