Recommended Age, Grade, and Reading Levels
- Age: 0
- Grade: 1
Barbara Reid’s celebration of reading and sharing has a fresh, new look!
Best-selling author and illustrator Barbara Reid has created a colourful celebration of the pleasures of reading to babies and young children, any time and anywhere. Warm and detailed Plasticine illustrations of adults and children reading together join with bouncy, rhythmic verse to invite children and parents to share the joy of reading indoors and out, at any time of day!
The perfect gift for new parents, Read Me a Book reminds us that reading to young children is key to the development of literacy and the enjoyment of learning — plus the simple text also makes it great for kids just learning to read back to their parents.
About the author
Barbara Reid réalise des illustrations avec de la pâte à modeler pour ensuite laisser le soin à son conjoint, Ian Chrisler de les photographier. Barbara a signé plusieurs livres à titre d'auteure malgré qu'elle avoue ne pas éprouver autant de plaisir à écrire une histoire qu'à l'illustrer. Elle a gagné plusieurs prix dont le prix du Gouverneur général et en 2014, le prix Libris dans la catégorie album illustré. Elle est aussi membre de l'Ordre de l'Ontario et de l'Ordre du Canada. Barbara vit à Toronto.
BARBARA REID is one of Canada’s most renowned creators of picture books, including Picture the Sky (Imagine le ciel), Picture a Tree, Perfect Snow and The Party. Her vibrant dimensional illustrations make her work a favourite around the world, and she has received many honours and awards, including the Governor General’s Award, the UNICEF Ezra Jack Keats Award, the Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator’s Award and CBC’s Fan Choice Award. In 2013, Barbara was made a member of the Order of Canada for her contributions to the Canadian children’s literature community. She lives in Toronto, Ontario with her husband, photographer Ian Crysler. Visit her at www.barbarareid.ca.
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre
- Commended, Canadian Toy Testing Council, Great Books of the Year
- Commended, Canadian Children's Book Centre, Our Choice
- Short-listed, Debbie Zimmerman Early Years Niagara Literary Award
Praise for Barbara Reid:
- • Starred Choice, Canadian Children's Book Centre “Our Choice” Catalogue.
- • Canadian Toy Testing Council Great Book Award, Top Ten Canadian Children's Books of 2004.
- “With her inimitable style, Barbara Reid has created a Christmas treat to be savoured and shared over and over.” —National Reading Campaign (for The Night Before Christmas)
- “*Readers will marvel at the amazing details . . . a special book indeed.” — Kirkus, (starred review for Picture a Tree)
Read Me a BookBabies love books. Parents love reading to babies. This book about families reading together, anytime and anywhere, is perfect for them to share. Features illustrations rendered in Plasticine. Originally published as a hardcover in 2004 by North Winds Press (Our Choice 2005 Starred Selection).
Source: The Canadian Children’s Book Centre. Best Books for Kids & Teens. 2008.