In 1909, the cup was commissioned by Albert Grey, Canada's Governor General, and was awarded for the first time to the Univerisity of Toronto Varsity Blues. The trophy is a silver chalice mounted on a large base, which holds the names of all the players and staff of the winning team. It has survived fire, breaking and being stolen and held for ransom twice in its life so far.
About the author
Graham Kelly grew up in Regina, and worked for the Saskatchewan Roughriders as a teenager. He covered the CFL for United Press International in Regina from 1963 to 1968. Since 1972, he has written a weekly column on the CFL for the Medicine Hat News. During those years, he has covered Calgary, Saskatchewan and Edmonton games, plus 30 Grey Cups. He has been selected to vote for the CFL All-Star teams and to be a nominator for the CFL Schlenley and League awards, as well as the Coach of the Year. In 2002, Kelly was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, football reporters` division. Kelly and his wife, Lorena, live in Medicine Hat, Alberta.