Simple green roof design and installation for the do-it-yourself builder
Essential Green Roof Construction is a comprehensive, in-depth guide to building simple green roofs for houses and small buildings.
Packed with detailed photos, illustrations, case studies, and code compliance advice, it offers clear step-by-step instructions necessary to create your own living roof on a new build or as a retrofit. Coverage includes:
- The benefits of a green roof
- The basics of planning and design
- Assessing site conditions such as aspect, slope, and loads
- Navigating building codes and working with building officials
- Material options, including professional grade and economical or local alternatives
- Planting suggestions for different roof climates and conditions, including food production
- When to call on professionals to ensure safety and integrity
- Step-by-step guidance for safe roof installation and detailing
- Annual green roof maintenance.
Where common sense meets beauty — a green roof is a system of layers that work together to support plant life, insulate homes, and make the world a greener place.
Essential Green Roof Construction will give you the knowledge and confidence to install your own green roof.
About the author
Leslie Doyle is the owner of Restoration Gardens Inc., a green roof design and installation firm. She is an instructor, a certified LiveRoof Installer, and is an accredited Green Roof Professional by the Industry Association, Green Roofs for Healthy Cities. Leslie resides in Toronto, Ontario.