Books to Screen
Welcome to Books to Screen
Powered by 49th Shelf, Books to Screen is a unique online marketplace for the promotion of Canadian books to film, television, and other media producers. It is a meeting place for publishers, authors, and agents selling screen rights for Canadian books, and producers looking for material to adapt to film, television, or other media. This fully searchable website launches summer 2013.
Face-to-face networking events for producers and publishers—such as the OMDC’s annual Page to Screen event in Toronto and the ABPBC’s Book to Film workshops in Vancouver—have clearly indicated a strong interest among both groups in working together. More to the point, these events have demonstrated that showcasing Canadian books to producers can drive rights sales.
Books to Screen now extends these successful models to the online space to offer a persistent, 24/7 directory of Canadian titles for consideration by producers in Canada and abroad.
Books to Screen solves a central challenge publishers and authors face when trying to promote and license subsidiary rights to their titles:
• How do we expose our titles to as many potential media producers as we can while not devoting all our time to this?
At the same time, it responds to a key issue for screen producers:
• How do we find great material for adaptation—easily and in one place?
How Does It Work?
• Publishers, authors, or agents nominate titles for consideration by media producers. To be eligible for listing on the site, the title must be Canadian authored and available on 49th Shelf.
• The nominating publisher, author, or agent controls all the details related to the listing. Basic title information is supplied via 49th Shelf.
• Each listing is accompanied by the rights holder’s contact information, enabling interested producers to contact them directly.
• All sales and negotiations are handled according to the rights holder’s normal processes, and all arrangements for the shipping of sample books, negotiations, and rights sales are made directly between the rights holder and the producer.
How Do I Find Out More?
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Books to Screen" to subscribe to project updates.